I've been thinking a lot about what really makes a great recruiter. A lot of my friends and colleagues are looking to add folks to their teams and they all want great talent, not just good talent. (Frankly, I'm trying to do the same thing on my team but that's not the topic of this blog)
So, what really makes someone great? I mean.....do we even know? I don't think anyone has the magic bullet for finding a great recruiter but here are a few of my thoughts between good and great recruiters.
1) Good recruiters fill jobs, great recruiters build the organization - This one is crystal clear to me. Most recruiters fill jobs and move one. Weak. Great recruiters partner with the business to help build the best organization the possibly can. Now, this is hard. You can't always be your managers friend. You've got to push back on things and speak your mind when you disagree with a decision. Which leads to #2.....
2) Good recruiters work on their headcount, great recruiters drive headcount and are vocal about hiring decisions - Honestly, any knucklehead can fill a job....seriously, what we do is not rocket science. But a great recruiter finds talent that forces the business to hire opportunistically and get creative. Great recruiters find so many great people that they business has to think outside of the box in order to get as much talent as they possibly can.
3) Good recruiters leverage programs, great recruiters build programs - Again, not rocket science here but lots of really good recruiters who can leverage all kinds of recruiting programs to build candidate pipeline...now the great recruiters dream up new programs and build them to fill a business need.
4) Good recruiters sell the job, great recruiters over-communicate the opportunity - This sounds like a subtle one but trust me the different for your organization is crazy. Good recruiters know their roles and can sell candidates on the job. Big deal. Great recruiters over-communicate with the candidate and can explain the opportunity (not just the job). Truly great talent doesn't take a job...they look for exceptional opportunities to grow.
5) Good recruiters have all kinds of tricks....great recruiters share their tricks and make everyone better - This is probably the most important. Plenty of recruiters have little tips and tricks they use to get the job done but the great ones are share and collaborate with team to make everyone better...thus creating a great team.
Clearly this is an incomplete list but it's a start. I'll do a follow up post on a few more things (general smarts, creativity, etc etc) that make a great recruiter. But for anyone out there trying to hire a team or build a recruiting function you can't rely on "good" folks to take you to the next level.....you've absolutely have to find great recruiters who are smart, can get things done and move the needle for the organization.
Good luck out there this week and more soon before I go on vacation!