Monday, August 20, 2012

A few quick thoughts on negotiating your offer

I don’t usually talk much about negotiating but think it’s something that is worth mentioning because a lot of people struggle with it.....with that, in no order...thoughts on negotiating an offer.

1) Don’t be afraid - People are terrified to negotiate, don’t be.  At the same time, don’t be stupid.  Negotiating takes a very delicate touch and the trick is honesty.  If you honestly need a few more bucks or something else...communicate not only what you want but why you want it.

2) Don’t negotiate just to negotiate - Seriously, if you have a good offer...take it.  don’t negotiate just because you “should” or “want to have some fun”.  No one likes negotiating with a jerk and if you come off as a jerk....the company might pull the offer.

3) This isn’t poker, don’t bluff - I just bought a new car (well..used...) and the dealer said to me “What do we need to do to do a deal tonight”....so I told him the number.  He tried to negotiate with me...to which I told him...he asked my number, if they can’t do it fine but don’t try to negotiate this YOU asked me for MY number.  The point, he was bluffing......and I called him on it. Result?  I got my number.

4) Honesty wins - Honestly wins 100% of the time, no exceptions.  Under no circumstances should you negotiate and lie or bend the truth to get something out of the potential employer.  People don’t like to hire liars, they like to hire good honest folks and trust people to act with integrity....don’t betray the trust.

5) Wisdom of crowds - If you aren’t sure what to do or how to negotiate....ask a friend.  Talking through these things really helps.  Take the time to bounce ideas off someone...and thank them for helping you out.

Obviously I could probably write a book on this topic but that’s it for this post....good luck if you’re negotiating.  I’m hopeful to get another post out later this week...we’ll see if I can pull it off.  Could be epic.

1 comment:

  1. I've been wondering how to approach the negotiation table, seeing as I'm graduating soon and doing the whole "job hunt".

    The emphasis on honesty is something I can wholeheartedly agree with - Accurate self-assessment and knowing what you're worth is an incredibly important part of the discussion.

    ReplyDelete