Thursday, February 20, 2014

Career Advice from General Sherman



 It’s been a little while since I’ve written one of my random historical blogs so...here we go.  William Tecumseh Sherman was a Civil War general and one of my favorites.  Not exactly Mr Nice Guy but really if you’re a historian (like me) you can appreciate that he basically invented the idea of “total war”.  I like him because he was a revolutionary thinking who took a lot of chances and did what he felt was necessary to win….and, he did.  With that, here are a few tips and career advice from W.T. Sherman

I make up my opinions from facts and reasoning, and not to suit anybody but myself. If people don't like my opinions, it makes little difference as I don't solicit their opinions or votes.

Good GOD do I love that quote.  If you think about it, this has a lot to do with being successful in your career.  Successful people have conviction and make decisions/opinions based on facts and data.  If people don’t like your opinion, that’s fine….but if you have the facts and data on your side eventually you’ll win.  

War is hell

So, probably the truest quote ever.  Job search is usually hell to.  Different kind of hell but let’s face it….looking for a job sucks.

Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

This is one of those quotes that sort of hits you in the brain.  Fear is a really strong motivator and can drive all kinds of behavior.  But, fear is the beginning of wisdom is mind blowing.  If you think about it….people hate change.  Moving? meh.  New job? meh.  Starting a business? meh.  It’s that fear that keeps us from really understanding what we want to do and knowing ourselves.  Once you overcome that fear, you start to learn.  I didn’t want to move to CA...but once we got over that...boom, I’ve discovered all kinds of “wisdom” about myself.  

Courage - a perfect sensibility of the measure of danger, and a mental willingness to endure it.

Another quote that just knocks me down…..it’s really the perfect description of courage for me and a really nice reminder when thinking about your career.  It doesn’t matter if you are deciding on a new job, taking a promotion, starting a business, etc etc you need to courage to take the shot.  BUT, balancing the risk and knowing what it will take to be successful will determine how well you’ll do.

Ok, so there you go.  I bet you never thought you’d get a few cool quotes and career advice from a Civil War General….but you just did.

Hope you’re all doing well and good luck out there

2 comments:

  1. what type recruiting it is where please provide summery of this post thinking's g you sir Regards sarkari naukri

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for such an amazing article,I like the way you work. It’s really the perfect description of courage for me and a really nice reminder when thinking about your career. Regards, best custom essay writing.

    ReplyDelete