Sunday, August 25, 2013

Healthy as a Bull Moose - Career Inspiration from Theodore Roosevelt

Welcome back everyone, taking a little different approach to my post this week.  As you know, I’m pretty much a dork and write a lot of blogs about music….this week, you get my other obsession.  History.  Theodore Roosevelt is my favorite president, bar none.  He was ridiculously smart, pretty kooky and tough as nails.  True story - he was shot during a speech...and finished the speech.  Pretty sure we’ll never see that again.


Anyway, I could go on and on about why TR is one of my favorites but I’d recommend you just read a book about him.  Either “Theodore Rex” or “The River of Doubt” (see links below) and you’ll be hooked. The point here, is he had a ton of quotes that are just amazing if you’re looking for career advice.  With that, a few of my favorites:



Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.


Right?  I mean, so good.  Go big or go home people.  I love this quote.


Believe you can and you're halfway there.


Honestly, I believe this kind of thing.  Sometimes the hardest things just take a little more energy and effort.  Believing you can get it done is actually more than half the battle but who am I to argue with Teddy


Nobody cares how much you know, until they know how much you care.


Again, just crazy good quotes for anyone looking for motivation but so relevant.  I’m a huge passion guy when it comes to work and if you can’t put everything you’ve got into a project no one will follow you...put 100% into something and people will follow you anywhere.


Far and away the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing.


Amen Teddy.  This kind of goes with my whole “have a career” as opposed to a “job” theme.  Life is too short to put up with shit work, find a great job that’s worth doing.


The most important single ingredient in the formula of success is knowing how to get along with people.


A lot of people have gotten away from this advice but its true.  Getting along with people will get you further in life than almost any other skill.  Sure you’ve got to be smart and get shit done, that’s absolutely true….but no one likes jerks so figure out how to get along with people and you’ll go far.


Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far.


Probably my favorite TR quote and most relevant career advice I can give.  No one likes jerks right?  So, don’t be a jerk just have a big stick because sometimes even the nicest of guy has to get into a fight at work…...what’s better than a big stick?


Hope you enjoyed the post, I’m a huge TR fan and if you’re looking for a good read check out one of the two I recommended and enjoy.


I’m off on a team building event this week so I’m likely to get inspired and do a second post.  More soon!







2 comments:

  1. Thanks for providing such a great article, it was excellent and very informative.
    as a first time visitor to your blog I am very impressed.
    thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am also a huge fan of TR. Great blog, Jeff!

    ReplyDelete