Saturday, September 29, 2012

Can I Play With Madness?


It’s been a little while since I’ve done a musically inspired blog so wanted to share some thoughts...inspired by one of my favorite bands of all time “Iron Maiden”.  Seriously, the music is great....lyrics are a little crazy but the theatrics are off the charts.  I saw them live a few months ago and it rocked.  Some of this advice might be dark but hey, what did you expect?


Real image of Jeff rocking it out Metal Nerd Style


I shall return from out of fire. - “Remember Tomorrow” from the album Iron Maiden

This is advice for the person who was fired.  The saying goes that EVERYONE gets fired at some point in their career.  Rather than being mad, bitter or even just downright angry....learn from the experience and embrace it.  Return from the firing better than before.

I spend my time looking all around, For a man that's nowhere to be found. Until I find him I'm never gonna stop searching - “Wrathchild” from the album Killers

Ah, for the hiring manager who can never find the right person.  At some point, the search must end.  Hire someone or realize you don’t “need” the person.  If you don’t have a clear vision of the req, don’t recruit for it.  If you do, realize at some point that there is no perfect person....and hire someone who can grow into the role.

I take a look through the bars at the last sights, Of a world that has gone very wrong for me - “Hallowed be thy Name” from the album Number of the Beast

Um, if your job feels like jail......quit.  No joke, quit.  Do I need to say anything else?

Fly on your way, like an eagle, Fly as high as the sun,On your way, like an eagle,Fly and touch the sun. - “Flight of Icarus” from the album Piece of Mind

Amazing tune btw, one of the best.  The lesson here, set HUGE goals.  Icarus died trying to fly to the sun.  Noble goal, perhaps not the best implementation but you have to love the goal.  In your job, career or whatever, you've got to set huge goals and try to accomplish them. Even if you fail, that’s ok.  Better to aim high and fail than aim low....regardless of the outcome.

So understand don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years face up... make your stand and realize you're living in the golden years - “Wasted Years” from the album Somewhere in Time

For the perpetual grump, suck it up and try to enjoy work.  No one wants to work...but you need to make the best of it and really have a good time with what you do.  If you don’t you’ll end up wasting your career and looking back on the years wishing you’d have done something different.

There's got to be just more to it than this Or tell me why do we exist I'd like to think that when I die I'd get a chance another time And to return and live again Reincarnate, play the game Again and again and again. - “Infinite Dreams” from the album Seventh Son of a Seventh Son

I don’t really think this lyric has a lot to do with job search or recruiting or anything but maybe.  Your career doesn't reincarnate itself over and over and over again.  Fresh starts?  Absolutely.  But you have to be careful not to think you can just keep hitting reset, eventually that will catch up with you.

That’s it this week, hope you enjoyed.....I’m heading out on vacations soon but should have time for a few more blog posts!



No comments:

Post a Comment