Thursday, March 17, 2011

Ok, so here we go with Part 4.....and Part 5 will be the last one. This has been a ton of fun, but man it's a hard blog topic. I'm sure I could do more if I just started doing random tunes or something but I feel like that's a sellout and I'm not going there.

So, a few more of my favorite Grunge tunes and how they relate to recruiting...hope you enjoy!


Met a girl, thought she was grand fell in love, found out first hand. Went well for a week or two then it all came unglued – “She Hates Me” by Puddle of Mud from the album Come Clean

So, Puddle of Mud is an interesting case. They classify as a Grunge band but really don’t jump out when you think of the era. That said, fantastic tune and they have a few others on this album that are great. I had a hard time picking one lyric from them honestly. The song Control on this album is really, really good too....a little disturbing but good.

The recruiting link is quite simple really. You’ll meet candidates, think they are the greatest thing ever, hire them...and regret it. I’ve been recruiting for a while now and as much as I’d like to say recruiting is foolproof, it’s not and you cannot avoid it.. Candidates will come in and knock your socks off in the interview and then frustrate you with their inability to get things done. Now, because it happens doesn’t mean you should accept it. Improve your process, ask good questions and minimize how often this happens!

For three strange days, I had no obligations, My mind was a blur, I did not know what to do. And I think I lost myself, When I lost my motivation - “3 Strange Days” by School of Fish from the album School of Fish

Another really obscure band from the early 90’s. Great album, they only had two...and I’ve never heard the second one. Kinda sad, the lead singer died at age 32 of testicular cancer....that sucks. Anyway, I’d recommend this album if you are looking for something different, it’s good.

Recruiting link.....lose your motivation and you’re toast at your job. Sounds like a basic tip but in order to really get your career on track you have to find ways to self motivate and keep yourself pushing harder and harder to do great things.

I ain’t your little fool. I know that ain’t a part of the deal. We’re through. - “Buttercup” by Brad from the album Shame

Love these guys, really awesome band and they are still making albums. Brad is a mix of guys from other bands like Shawn Smith formerly of Satchel and Stone Gossard of Pearl Jam fame. If you are looking for classic Grunge, that’s really mellow and easy to listen to...then Brad is for you. Buttercup is the first song on their first album, one of my personal favorites. I saw them live in 1997 down in DC, great show...WAY too many drinks for any other insight on that show. Sorry

Recruiting link again is easy. Jobs and careers are a give and take. You bust your tail for a company and they pay you, treat you nice, etc etc. That being said, most people today are employee’s at will meaning you can be terminated pretty easily. Which by the way, is totally fine. BUT, if you find yourself treated like a fool by your employer...that’s not part of the deal and it may be time to find a new job. If you’re employer doesn’t appreciate you.....find someone else who will.

Forever in debt to your priceless advice - “Heart Shaped Box” by Nirvana from the album In Utero

You knew I’d eventually get to a Nirvana tune right? I mean, hard to exclude them from a Grunge series. I’ll be honest though, they are not my favorite band from the era....not even close. I used to get really pissed off when people said Kurt Cobain was the voice of my generation. I mean, sure, great lyrics but the dude had some serious problems and like most of my musical idols...he killed himself with drugs. So, love Nirvana but not as much as some of the others I’ve discussed. Regardless....this is off the In Utero album which was sort of the beginning of the end for them but this song was HUGE.

I actually really like this lyric for recruiting advice. Everyone wants advice or has advice on job hunting. Seriously, does anyone NOT have advice when you tell them you are looking to make a move? It’s kind of crazy. The thing is, a lot of this advice is great and provides insight you may not have had without the advice. So, when you are looking for a new job or looking to add people to your team....hit your network and get some advice on to get started. You may just find that priceless piece of advice that helps you accomplish your goals very quickly!

What do you mean I can't get to work on time, I've got nothing better to do. - "Peace Sells" by Megadeth from the album Peace Sells by Who's Buying

Megadeth, definitely not grunge again…I’m guilty as charged. This is metal. Great song, probably their best but you could debate that with me. The opening guitar riff should be familiar to those of you who loved MTV back in the day....it was the opening audio for MTV News.

Simple message for those of you interviewing…..show up on time! Really, it’s not hard. Leave early, do what you need to do to get to the interview on time. Showing up late shows you didn’t plan properly and really messes up the interview schedule. Messing up the schedule might seem minor but if you don’t meet with the right people you might not get the job. So again, show up on time, you’ve got nothing better to do the day of an interview.

That's it this week, I should have a non-Grunge blog soon and then the final Part 5 of this epic thread. Until then, keep networking and hiring!

1 comment: